The Sustainable Packaging Forum
Time: 3.30 PM - 6.00 PM
Location: University of Kent, Canterbury
Address: University of Kent, Darwin College, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NY
Join us for a networking event for Kent and Medway's food and drink packaging sector.
- Hear from leading industry figures about the latest packaging options and materials
- Meet technical researchers to discuss your packaging challenges
- Discover new funding opportunities for research and development
- Help inform regional decision making
- Join our regional business network
- 3.00pm - Registration and networking with refreshments and nibbles
- 3.30pm - An introduction to forum, GK&M, and the funding opportunities: Sophie Packer|, Dr Lori Fisher, University of Kent
- 3.45pm Solutions to address the current sustainable packaging goals and challenges facing the food and drink sectors.
- 3.45pm: A Supplier’s Perspective – Dan Crooks, iFruits
- 4.00pm: Circular food-grade PP from post-consumer packaging – Dr Jon Mitchell, Nextloopp
- 4.15pm: How compostables can make food waste work - Kevin Clarke, KCC packaging
- 4.30pm: Sustainability at the Kent-based paper mill – Graham Hayward,Smurfit Kappa
- 4.45pm: Sustainable flexible packaging – Kieran Bevan, TriFlex Productions
- 5.00pm: Q&A Session with Industry speakers
- 5.15pm: Networking Session - ‘Free Range’ Workshop with nibbles
- 6.00pm: Close
Dan Crooks, Director, iFruit Ltd
iFruit is a fresh produce company supplying both continental and UK retailers. In its tenth year now it also is delivering to new online retail platforms, kitchen retail and has a diverse wholesale client base nationwide in the UK.
Prior to forming iFruit with my European partners my career started at the Fresca Group, I began in quality control in my teens, then progressed through many roles finally to be commercial director of one of the largest fresh produce companies in Europe spanning an 18 year period.
Dr Jon Mitchell, Projects Manager, Nextloopp
Jon is a Project Engineer with postgraduate qualifications in Polymer Engineering and Polymer composites. He has experience in plastics processing and polymer material science. Jonathan is skilled in material analysis and process improvement and research program management. His specialisations also cover biopolymers and composites based on natural fibres. Jon has had experience in high volume, high purity plastics processing for a leading manufacturer in the medical field, involving process optimisation and problem solving within a production environment. He is also experienced in project planning and management as well as production for improved material utilisation and productivity.
Kieran Bevan, Commercial Director, Triflex Productions Ltd
Commercial Director and co-owner of Triflex Productions Ltd; Kieran works with a wide range of businesses to supply flexible packaging.
Kieran is passionate about all things business, coming from an entrepreneurial family. What he loves most is seeing brands grow and supplying brands with packaging that supports their strategies as a business. Whether this be start-ups through to major blue-chip brands, he and the team at Triflex have provided sustainable packaging solutions for a wide variety of formats and product types.
Triflex is a market leader in flexible packaging and at the forefront of cutting-edge developments in this field.
Speaker LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kieranbevan/
Company LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/triflex-productions-limited/
Kevin Clarke, Managing Director, KCC Packaging
Kevin Clarke has spent the last decade creating a low carbon, viable alternative to the plastic ready meal tray. A career in food packaging, spanning 5 decades, has provided plenty of experience to appreciate the relevance of providing, what at first may appear a simple product. It has proven to be complex, difficult, and now timely, as we all strive to achieve net Zero in less than 10,000 days!
YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcjBJapzAokPOFlO6oLWk2w
Graham Hayward, Technical Customer Service Manager, Smurfit Kappa Paper
Having worked within the paper based packaging industry for almost 15 years I have seen many changes. My role, in particular has adapted from being a front line response for customer complaints and technical issues, to now include many tasks where I represent the business in such forums as this one, as well as hosting site visits, with training and education, not only for customers but for the local schools and colleges, and of course collaborative work with Partners such as Growing Kent & Medway.