Deputy Programme Director
Fixed term for 2 years
£50,749 to £65,000 per annum depending on experience
Closing Date: 12.12.2023
Location: East Malling
We wish to appoint a Deputy Programme Director to join our ‘Growing Kent & Medway’ team to support the Programme Director to deliver the objectives of the programme.
The objectives include:
- Programme governance and management
- Implementation of monitoring & evaluation plans
- Regular reporting to UKRI
- Contribute fully to the development and implementation of Growing Kent & Medway's/NIAB’s long-term strategy across appropriate areas of the business
- Support the efforts of the Growing Kent & Medway Cluster and NIAB staff to attract future funding
- Represent NIAB and the Growing Kent & Medway Cluster as appropriate.
Using your experience of developing and delivering innovation-led programmes in the horticulture and/or food sectors as Deputy Programme Director, your duties include:
- Support the Programme Director to deliver the Growing Kent & Medway Project including: deputising for the director, manage programme work package activities, deliverables, and outcomes. Establishing and maintaining effective lines of communication and influence with: stakeholders; regional stakeholders; UK-based major funding organisations; and agricultural/horticultural/food/agri-tech industries nationally and internationally.
- Working closely with colleagues to help build and strengthen GKM’s new business opportunities and service offerings, including developing strategic product offerings.
- Support the governance and management of Growing Kent & Medway (including preparation of the Project Steering Board meetings and quarterly reviewing meetings).
- With the Director, oversee monitoring and evaluation of the project deliverables and outcomes (with the support of the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer and others across NIAB and the Growing Kent & Medway Cluster).
- Represent the Growing Kent & Medway cluster and NIAB externally as appropriate.
- Develop and agree with stakeholders on a future, long-term sustainable business strategy for the programme.
- Liaise with research leads and finance business partners (FBPs) to ensure timely delivery of internal and external reporting and management functions for the project.
- Working with partners to co-ordinate reporting requirements and preparation of board papers.
The role is based at East Malling, Kent, ME19 6BJ.
Ideally you have:
- Degree in a relevant subject or equivalent qualifications and experience
- Relevant post-graduate qualification or equivalent qualifications and experience
- Experience of developing and delivering innovation-led programmes and services and information based on research & development in the horticulture and/or food sectors.
- Significant experience in a senior management role in a complex organisation working at a strategic and operational level.
- Track record of successful public engagement and of public presentations at high-profile events/to relevant stakeholders.
- A comprehensive understanding of the operation of the UK funding bodies, and evidence of influencing the national and international science agenda.
- Expertise in complex bid development and partnerships.
- Significant commercialisation and start-up experience.
- Experience in higher education research and innovation funding systems.
- Experience in working and interfacing with local, regional and national government.
- Available to travel locally, nationally and internationally with overnight stays as required.
- A driving licence or access to independent means of travelling, enabling you to travel around Kent and Medway. Transport can be provided.
- Knowledge of business operations and challenges in the Horticultural and Food and Drink supply chain – farm to fork.
Ideally you will also have:
- Knowledge of investor relationships.
- International experience in the commercial Agri-food sector.
- Experience of philanthropic partnerships.
- Use of social media as a business interface.
- Understanding of the socio-economic benefits of partnership development.